Many celebrities and influencers vow that LED light therapy is the secret to their radiant and youthful skin. Until recently, LED light therapy has only been available in high-end spas and clinics, exceeding $75 per treatment. Now, you can reward yourself with the healing benefits it provides in the comfort of your home. Enjoy LED light therapy with affordable and convenient at-home treatments.
Let’s talk about what is LED light therapy. Do LED light therapy at-home devices work? Before we talk more about the healing properties of LED light therapy, let’s bring to light the origin of the science behind LED light therapy.
What is LED light therapy?
LED means light-emitting diode. In the 1990s, NASA developed LED light therapy for plant growth on their shuttle missions. By chance, they found it could help heal astronauts’ wounds. Through observation, they learned that it boosts the production of growth factor proteins, collagen, and blood vessels.
Similarly, today LED light therapy is a non-invasive treatment done by exposing the skin to non-UV light in varying wavelengths. LED light penetrates the skin’s layers, triggering different processes that improve the skin and address specific skin issues such as inflammation, wrinkles, sun damage, and acne.
What are the benefits of LED light therapy for your skin?
Today, at-home LED light therapy is getting a lot of attention due to the increase in collagen and skin tissue that can make your skin smoother and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and acne. LED light treatment depends on the frequency or wavelength, the depth of penetration, and the energy emitted by the device used. The longer the wavelength, the deeper it penetrates the tissue and assists in healing for a variety of skin conditions.
Clinical studies have been published about the different skin benefits LED light therapy has to offer based on the various wavelengths. Here are the different frequencies or wavelengths available in LED light therapy today:
1. Red LED Light
Red LED light stimulates collagen and elastin production. The skin needs these proteins to keep itself firm and youthful. Red light is anti-inflammatory and can help reduce skin redness and puffiness. Overall, red light can help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. Red LED light therapy at home is great for anti-ageing treatment to help you achieve smoother, more youthful-looking skin! Combined with infrared, red light penetrates deeper into the skin for a more amplified treatment.
2. Blue LED Light
Blue LED light helps eliminate acne-causing bacteria and reduces the appearance of acne. Targeting the oil or sebaceous glands beneath the hair follicles, blue light can make the skin’s oil production less active, leading to fewer acne breakouts. Blue LED light therapy at home is a safe, non-invasive treatment to help treat pimples and assist in the reduction of scarring and inflammation. Combined with infrared light, it helps promote deeper cellular repair in the skin.
3. Green LED Light
Green LED light assists in calming the skin, balances tone, improves the appearance of hyperpigmentation, reduces redness, and soothes irritation. Helping sensitive skin or conditions like rosacea, green LED light helps even your skin complexion for overall healthier-looking skin.
4. Yellow LED Light
Yellow LED light therapy helps alleviate inflammation, sunburn and redness. It can improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin and hyperpigmentation. It can also help alleviate sunburn and inflammation.
5. Orange LED Light
For a revitalising treatment, orange light is the best at-home LED light therapy for you. Orange LED light therapy can help boost and maintain healthy skin that gives you a natural glow.
6. Cyan LED Light
If you need a soothing treatment, cyan LED light therapy can assist. Cyan light is found to have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects on the skin. It combines blue LED light’s anti-acne benefits and green LED light’s calming properties.
7. Purple LED Light
To rejuvenate your skin, purple is a popular at-home LED light therapy for acne and ageing. Purple LED light combines the benefits of red and blue LED lights which results in its violet hue. With red’s anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory properties and blue’s antimicrobial and anti-acne benefits, purple LED light refreshes and improves the overall appearance of your skin!
Does at-home LED light therapy work?
So does at-home LED light therapy work or is it just another skincare gimmick? Research and clinical studies show that LED light therapy can help improve the appearance of the skin and reduce some skin conditions and issues. But to see significant results, you need to have regular treatments. For in-clinic LED light therapy that uses more powerful devices, you need a session each week for about a month. Thereafter, you have to visit the clinic every month or every few months for maintenance treatments which can become a costly venture.
But what about at-home LED light treatments? At-home tools may not be as powerful as in-clinic devices, however, they have been tried and tested, and results have proven you can still reap the benefits of an in-clinic LED light procedure with the convenience and affordability of doing it at home.
How often should you do LED light therapy at home for substantial results? At-home devices suggest 3-5 10-minute sessions per week for a period of 12 weeks. Thereafter, maintenance treatments once to twice a week are recommended.
What is the best at-home LED light therapy device?
With various types to choose from, what is the best at-home LED light therapy device? Compare the most common types:
1. LED Lamps (LED Panels)
LED lamps or panels are large, stationary devices. These are probably the strongest at-home LED light therapy instruments and they are commonly used in professional spas and clinics, but now they can also be purchased for at-home use.
- Larger Coverage Area Because these are usually bigger, LED lamps and panels cover a larger surface area and are not limited to just your face. Your whole body can benefit from LED light therapy with this apparatus.
- Hands-Free Use You’re hands are free with LED lamps and panels so you can multitask and be more productive while getting LED light therapy.
- Not Portable Because of their usually large size and fixed placement, it is not portable and you can only use them in one area of your home. You also can’t get LED light therapy on the go because it cannot be easily moved.
- Higher Costs LED lamps and panels are the most expensive at-home LED light therapy devices so they might not be accessible for some.
2. Handheld LED Device
As the name suggests, handheld LED devices such as LED wands and flashlights, are held by hand and pointed or placed on specific skin areas during LED light therapy.
- Portable Because these are small, LED wands and flashlights are portable and easy to use in any area of your home and on the go.
- Concentrated Treatment LED wands and flashlights can be placed or pointed at specific skin areas, offering a more concentrated treatment.
- Affordable Handheld LED devices are often more affordable than other at-home LED light therapy tools so they are more accessible for most.
- Limited Coverage Area Because they can only be placed or pointed at a specific skin area, they are less effective when larger areas or multiple skin issues have to be treated all at the same time.
- Manual Use LED wands and flashlights are not hands-free so they are less convenient. This might not be the best at-home LED light therapy device if you multitask.
3. LED Face Masks
To get the best at-home LED light therapy for your face, you should get a LED face mask. LED face masks are designed to be worn on the face that can offer the same benefits as LED lamps and panels.
- Portable LED face masks are portable and easy to use on the go and in any area of your home.
- Even Facial Treatment Because of their design, LED face masks cover your whole face and provide even, concentrated treatment to all areas at once.
- Affordable Like handheld LED devices, most LED face masks are affordable and accessible for most people.
- Time Commitment Consistency is key with LED and the more you do, the more you gain. One session will boost cellular activity, but multiple sessions will offer visible results. You need to commit to using the device as per the recommended treatment time to gain long-term results.
Ultimately, the best at-home LED light therapy device is one that suits your needs, lifestyle, and budget. It should also be tested and medical grade. If you are in Australia, always ensure the at-home LED light therapy device you choose is ARTG registered and has a recognised global registration, for example, FDA cleared. Get a LED face mask that offers various LED colours or wavelengths to get specific treatments and the best results for your skin.
LED light therapy is an effective skincare device that can help you achieve clear, healthy, and glowing skin. Previously limited to in-clinic treatments, LED light therapy is now more accessible and affordable, with the convenience of treatment in your own home. With many different wavelengths that address various skin concerns, please ensure that you do your research and consult with your GP or dermatologist if you have any concerns.
Want a high-quality medical-grade yet affordable LED face mask? The IllumiaSkin 7+1 Colour LED Face Mask is a high-quality design that boasts medical-grade technology. It provides maximum exposure with a choice of light in 7 different colours plus the infrared region of the spectrum for the targeted action you want. Having undergone meticulous testing to give safe and effective results while conforming to all US and Australian safety standards, this comfortable and portable device can give you the best at-home LED light therapy in Australia. Learn more about the benefits this LED face mask has to offer!